Reporting to the Head of Plumbing & Drainage Operations, the Production Manager will oversee the management and efficient utilisation of production resources including materials, machinery and personnel, achieving the output requirements in accordance with agreed production targets, to quality standards and within budget.
They will head up a team comprising process engineers, team leaders, setters and up to 70 production operatives across various shift patterns within a fast moving injection moulding and pipe extrusion production environment.
Main tasks and duties:
- Proactively lead, develop & mentor a production & moulding team to meet shift KPI’s and production demand;
- Responsible for the development of the moulding and tooling personnel to a high standard of knowledge, skill and integrity;
- Day to day running of the moulding department which comprises of supporting production cells including assembly, pipe extrusion and fabrications;
- Assist in the management of all maintenance functions including preventative, corrective and planned maintenance in the injection moulding department;
- Co-ordinate tooling and equipment availability, repair and maintenance;
- Liaise directly with the technical department relating to new tool design, GA reviews and production trials;
- Liaise with external toolmakers to ensure that all current and future tooling is optimised for production both technically and practically;
- Undertake performance appraisals for all members of your team;
- Identify and implement continuous improvement processes to improve production efficiency;
- Ensure the expected Health & Safety and Environmental standards are compliant on a daily basis;
- Ensure that the Company's Quality Management System and processes are rigidly upheld;
- Liaising directly with the Master Production Planner you will assist in the co-ordination of materials planning & control plus production planning & control;
- Manage the skills and development of production staff, including identifying training needs, coaching and promoting teamwork;
- Lead problem solving and the implementation and maintenance of lean manufacturing principles.
- Carry out stock control of both raw materials and finished goods;
- Assist with the compilation of finance budgets for function under the Head of Building Products Operations control;
- Optimise cost control through decisions re shift working, overtime on a timely basis.
- Ensure communications are maintained at the highest possible level between management and the workforce and keep your manager advised of impending situations which could develop into more serious problems;
- Ensure staff are kept fully briefed regarding the work and performance required from them and give direction and support to ensure that tasks are completed on time;
- Develop mutual respect with employees, by ensuring that all dealings are objective and impartial.
- Take care to ensure that at all times there is an adequately trained workforce to meet planned production requirements;
- Ensure that all employees are inducted, trained and validated in all aspects of their positions' requirements, to allow them to perform their functions safely and efficiently;
- Manage and motivate production staff to ensure that flexible job roles exist for operatives and that performance is both efficient and effective;
- Deal with day to day industrial relations problems ensuring legislation and company procedures are adhered to;
- Ensure that company procedures are followed with respect to recruitment and promotion of staff (policy guidelines);
- Ensure compliance with the company's Equal Opportunity Policy;
- Ensure that the company attendance management policy is implemented.
Health & Safety
- Through robust supervision and effective communication ensure that a safe and clean working environment is maintained at all times;
- Ensure that the Health & Safety Policy of the company is operated and constantly reviewed to ensure compliance with statutory regulations as they change from time to time.
- Ensure records are kept up-to-date and accurate for all performance criteria e.g.:-
- Production performance by department / m/c / product group
- Ensure that all reports, studies etc. required are accurate, submitted on time and to the required standard.
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required.
The person will:
- Have a proven track record with a minimum of 5 years’ management experience within a plastic injection moulding environment;
- Have a strong technical background in injection moulding processes;
- Have a good understanding of Polymer Science;
- Ideally have plastic extrusion experience;
- Have experience of lean manufacturing tools (5S / 5WHY / SMED);
- Have a good understanding of materials management;
- Have a comprehensive knowledge of HSE standards and ISO 9001 quality in a manufacturing environment;
- Have excellent communication, interpersonal and reporting skills;
- Have excellent analytical, problem solving and decision making skills;
- Have experience of developing staff and achieving departmental and business objectives;
- Have strong IT skills including MS office and particularly excel;
- Ideally have a recognised injection moulding qualification;
- Have a third level qualification in either:
- Production / Mechanical / Process / Polymer Engineering
- Have strong people management skills in leading, managing and motivating teams to achieve challenging targets
- Have experience with MRP and Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES).
How to apply:
Apply using the form below.