Rigid foam PVC is PVC which has been foamed using a blowing agent.
Foam PVC is lightweight yet rigid and makes a very good media for printed applications such as advertising, Point of Sale (POS) displays and signage.
Brett Martin’s Foamalux range encompasses flat foam PVC sheet for printing, sign, display and fabrication.
- Extra lightweight
- Can be laminated
- Resistant to moisture
- Very easy to cut and shape
- Able to be printed
- Can be painted to achieve different colours
- Different surface effects such as matte or leather look
- Offered in a range of densities and hardness
- Resistant to solvents yet compatible with most adhesives
- Good fire performance
- Will not rot
Foam PVC can be used in numerous applications:
- Sign and display
- Scale models
- Shop fitting
- Exhibition stands
- Theatre props
- Construction board
- Core materials
- Shoe insoles
- Cushioning around face masks and helmets
Like rigid PVC, foam PVC requires less non-renewable fossil fuel to make it than any other commodity plastic as it is 57% common salt and 43% fossil fuels.
In recent years the European PVC industry has reduced the environmental impact of PVC firstly via the Vinyl 2010 scheme and then the Vinyl Plus scheme, setting challenging sustainability targets to minimise the environmental impact of PVC production, ensure responsible use of additives, and support collection and recycling schemes.PVC is one of the most recyclable polymers but can be disposed of safely, if necessary. Unlike may plastics that have a lifespan of years if not decades, the temporary nature of some of foam PVC’s applications make recycling as important as it is for competitor products such as paper and card.
- British Plastics Federation www.bpf.co.uk
- The Plastics Portal www.plasticseurope.org
- European Council of Vinyl Manufacturers www.pvc.org
- PVC Design www.pvcdesign.org
- PVC Aware www.pvcaware.org